- 1 Hotmail Login
- 2 The changes that have come about for Hotmail users
- 3 Steps to create Hotmail account
- 4 Hotmail Sign in
- 5 Protect your Hotmail account
- 6 Guidelines to reset password in Hotmail
- 7 Features of Hotmail
If you are an existing user of Hotmail, here are the steps to follow in order to log onto Hotmail account:
- Hotmail domain, MSN and Live domains have all been integrated under Outlook. No matter which web address you type, you will be redirected to Outlook.com.
- Here you will find a login panel. This is applicable to both Outlook and Hotmail users.
- One will have to sign in by typing in their full user name.
- Once the username is typed in one will need to enter the password as well.
- If the details are entered correctly, one will be redirected to their Hotmail account.
Those who have not entered their Hotmail account recently might be perplexed as to how to find their account details and send or receive emails through their Hotmail account through the new domain.
The changes that have come about for Hotmail users
Those who have existing accounts in Hotmail, need not be perturbed about the existence of their emails and whether they will find the same features and functions that they used to work with. Here are some points to note:
- Those who have an existing Hotmail account will not find any major change besides the new layout, functions and amenities that are offered on the new Outlook domain.
- They will be able to trace their old mails and retrieve archived mails, continue same conversations with the contacts that they have added to their address book over the years.
- Those who are looking to create an Outlook email account can simply add on an alias to their existing Hotmail account and use it as their Outlook account.
- Those who wish to create a new Hotmail account will have to resort to Outlook for creation of a new account as Hotmail domain has been discontinued as a sole platform.
These are some changes that have been brought about as part of the integration efforts of Microsoft. As it has brought in all the email user accounts on Outlook domain, it is offering the users ease of finding their old mails and conversations in a new format with greater amenities.
Steps to create Hotmail account
- Go to Hotmail.com on your web browser. You will be directed to the new Microsoft Outlook page. Here, locate for Sign up now option at the bottom right corner of the page and click on it.
- You will be taken to the Microsoft account creation page. Enter your first and the last name in the boxes provide for the same.
- The next option is to enter a username that has not been used before. Enter any name that you would like to have as your email address and since you want to create a Hotmail account, opt for the @hotmail.com option.
- If by any chance the username that you opt for is used by somebody, then you will be asked to key in a different username of your choice or opt for any of the username options that Microsoft offers.
- Move on to the password box once you have finished with choosing your username. Type a strong password which is more than 8 characters and has numerals ad special characters in it.
- You will have to re-enter the new password as it is in the next type box to confirm your password registration.
- You will next need to key in your personal information like country, zip code, date of birth and gender in the appropriate boxes.
- You will then be asked to enter contact information like your alternate email address and mobile phone number so that Microsoft can contact you if needed and send lost password information on your phone.
- To make sure that you are human and not a robot creating a Hotmail account, you will be asked to key in a CAPTCHA code that is shown on the page.
After you have created a new Hotmail account, you need to visit the www.Hotmail.com sign in page. On the landing page, you need to type the new username or email address and the password that you had used to create your account in the spaces provided and click on sign in to enter the Hotmail inbox.
Hotmail Sign in
It is very easy to sign in to Hotmail. If you have created a Hotmail account, you would have been asked to enter a username and a password. You will have to use the same username and password to sign in to Hotmail and to access your inbox. The steps to sign in to Hotmail are as follows:
- You should have a computer by your side with an internet connection to access your Hotmail account.
- Open a web browser on the computer and visit the Outlook page.
- You will be directed to an outlook.com sign in page where you will find spaces provided to enter the username and password.
- You will first need to enter the username, which would be email@example.com.
- After entering this, move the cursor to the next box and type in the password that you had used when creating your account.
- You should ensure that you enter the password exactly the same and be mindful that it is case-sensitive.
- When both the username and password entries are done correctly, you need to click on the sign in option. You will be taken to your Hotmail inbox immediately.
This is how you can easily sign in to Hotmail email account. As Hotmail has made a transition to Outlook.com, you will be directed to the Outlook sign in page, even if you enter www.Hotmail.com in your web browser. Despite this change, you can still access your Hotmail account by keying in the Hotmail username and password in the respective boxes on the Outlook.com page.
Protect your Hotmail account
If you feel that your Hotmail account has been compromised, then it is important for you to change your password into a more secure one. To do so, you will have to visit the www.Outlook.com page and click on the ‘can’t access my account’ option. You will be directed to the ‘why can’t you sign-in’ page that asks you to pick an option.
- Choose the option ‘I think someone else is using Microsoft account’ option.
- You will instantly be asked to give a reason as to why you think that someone else is accessing your account.
- Opt for the appropriate answer and then click Next option.
- You will now be asked to enter your email or phone number on the landing age to reset your password and to create a new one.
- After entering your phone number or mobile number, you will also be asked to key in special characters that show up on the screen. This is to prove that you are human.
- Enter the code and click next. A code will be sent to your mobile phone. Enter the code in the box and follow the instructions to reset your password.
Sign in problems
The email service provider may have great and amazing features, but it also has some challenging factors. If you don’t know your log in details, it may be very difficult to access your account. You need to know your email and the associated password. If you accidentally lose your password, you can reset it in simple steps.
- Open the official website.
- Click on ‘can’t access my account’ you will be directed to a new page.
- On this page, you will be required to enter the reason why you can’t access your account. There are three options. If you know your password but you can’t still access your account, you need to check the email address. If you still can’t get access, then you need to reset it.
- Click on ‘I forgot my password’.
- A new page will open prompting you to enter your email address. You will be required to enter the characters that are provided and click ‘next’.
- You will be directed to a new page and you will have to choose the option you wish to receive the security code on. If you choose the text option, you will have to enter the last 4 digits of your phone number. The phone number needs to be verified.
- You will receive a code. Enter the code in the spaces provided.
- You will then be directed to a new page where you will have to reset your password. The password you choose should be a minimum of 8 characters.
- You will now be able to log in to your account.
Other problems may occur when you are logging in especially if you have turned on the 2 step verification process. In this process, you will be able to log in to your account with your log in details and one extra code. When it comes to receiving the code, some people may experience challenges. This usually occurs when you are using your phone to log in. If this is the reason why you can’t access your account, there are other options that you can use. You will be required to use the alternative, the ‘app password’ option. To set the password
- Log in to your account.
- On the right hand side, click on settings.
- Click on the security option. You may be required to log in again.
- Under the app passwords, click on the ‘create a new password’.
- You will then be required to enter this password instead of your old log in password.
With the improved features, your account inbox is well organized. Your emails are now grouped into folders according to the content.
Why you are unable to sign in?
Even if you have a valid Hotmail account, you may encounter difficulty in signing in to your Hotmail or Outlook account. This may be due to three reasons. You might have forgotten the password or you might have entered the password or username wrongly or somebody might have hacked your password and they may be using it. If you cannot remember your password you can reset it with the help from Microsoft.
Guidelines to reset password in Hotmail
Have you lost your Hotmail password? Do you want to change your Hotmail password because you feel that your password is very weak? If so, then you need to read this article on how to reset Hotmail password. You need to open your favorite web browser and visit the website www.hotmail.com. You will be directed to the Windows Microsoft account sign-in page where you will find an option “Can’t access my account” just below the sign in button. Click on this option and you will be directed to a page that gives you three options to choose from on why you are not able to sign in to your Hotmail account.
The options are: Forgot my password, I think someone else is using the Microsoft account and I know the password, but cannot sign in option. You need to click on ‘Forgot my password” option and then press the Next button. You will be directed to the get back my account web page where you will need to enter your Microsoft account as well as enter the Captcha code in the appropriate box and press the Next button.
You will now be directed to a verification page where you need to verify your identity by choosing Email me a reset link or send a code to my phone option. You need to click on the link in your email or enter the security code received on your phone to reset the password.
Features of Hotmail
Those who have had a Hotmail account from the very beginning, they will certainly find several new features and amenities being offered to them on the unified Microsoft domain. As Outlook is the new web based email service launched by Microsoft, many features have been upgraded and added to provide all Outlook and Hotmail users a lot to look forward to.
One portal for access
Whether you are a Hotmail account user or an Outlook account user, you need not visit a different domain any longer. Microsoft has simplified the login process in the following way:
- One simply needs to visit the domain Outlook.com on the web browser.
- Here the username details need to be entered with the email address in full. Hence, whether one as an Outlook or a Hotmail account, the same needs to be specified in the username field.
- The password needs to be entered in the right case sensitive manner.
Once these details are entered correctly, one will be redirected to their inbox in the subsequent step. This login feature makes it simple for all Microsoft account holders gain access to their inbox.
Many Hotmail users have suffered spam and hacking attacks over the last few decades. For that reason, the new unified platform offers upgraded security features which are beneficial to all users:
- There is a 2-step verification process that can be activated for all account users. If this feature is activated, one will be asked to key in a security code that is sent as a text message to their registered phone number.
- There is another convenient and safe way to access one’s inbox. There is a single access code feature that can be used to enter one’s inbox without having to type in the password every time. The code that is sent as a text message to the registered phone number needs to be entered to gain access to one’s account.
- Two personal questions and their answers are asked to be updated in one’s account which can be used to ascertain the genuine user of an account.
- An alternate email address is asked for whereby reset links can be sent if one forgets their password.
These are some of the extensive security features that have been made a part of all Outlook and Hotmail accounts.
Whether one has an Outlook or Hotmail account the features of the inbox have been upgraded in the following manner:
- The inbox has an uncluttered look and the option to tag messages allows one to organize messages easily.
- The Sweep feature allows one to move messages of a certain category to a certain folder or to delete them completely.
- Social media integration allows one to check the updates on the different social media accounts.
- OneDrive access provides greater storage benefits while MS Office features are also available for editing attached documents and presentations.
- The upgraded Hotmail inbox offers an expanded storage capacity.
- It offers enhanced security features which will reduce virus attacks and spam mails.
- The user will be able to perform faster searches of the mails using the inbox features.
- It is easy to locate and organize the mails according to your priority.
- You can arrange the mails into different folders in the inbox.
- It is possible to keep the inbox clutter free with the features such as filter, sweep, move to, etc.
- You will be able to share the photos, videos, etc., using the One Drive option.
- You can do chatting on Skype and add contacts in social network sites using the Hotmail inbox.
Hotmail increase in the security offered to Hotmail users. You also have the option to view, edit as well as share office documents as you get free access to Microsoft office web apps. The Hotmail service is integrated with SkyDrive and this offers you the chance to even send files to the size of about 10 GB in a single mail and this also includes sending and receiving images.
With search auto-complete feature you will be able to search mails effectively by just typing a few letters. You can now chat with your friends or family members from your inbox as Hotmail is integrated with instant messaging and text messaging options. Hotmail comes with a new spam filtering system that saves your precious time as it divides your spam mails in two categories, grey mail and spam. All newsletters, promotions and offers are directed to grey mail and will not reflect in your inbox.
If you want more information you may be interested: