Tips To 2-Steps Verification
If you are looking at getting an extra layer of security and protection for your account, then you should activate the 2-step verification. It will make it very difficult for anyone to sign in to your email account. The two step verification means that your sign in will gets activated only after you provide two steps of identity, one is through the password and the other is through a contact method. So, even if anyone has access to your username and password, he will not be able to get inside your inbox as he will not have access to the special code that will be sent on your phone. This is why you should use the two step verification as it will keep your account safe.
How the two step verification works?
Once you activate the two step verification for your Hotmail account, you will be sent a special code on your phone. You will have to type in this code in the space provided for the same while logging into your account. The code will be sent either on your alternate email address or through an SMS on your phone or in the Authenticator app. You need to enter the code in the correct type filled without any errors to get access to inbox. Once you activate the two step verification on a particular device and access your emails, then you will not be asked for the code for that particular device for some time. But, if you are using another device or computer to access your inbox, then you will be sent a verification code on your mobile phone that you need to enter in its respective field to access your emails.
How to set up two step verification?
The following is the guide to set up the two step verification for your Hotmail account.
- Visit the www.hotmail.com website on your web browser. You will be taken to the outlook.com sign in page.
- Key in your email address and the password in the respective boxes and then click on the sign in button.
- You will now enter your inbox. Locate the profile photo or your name on the top right corner of the inbox and click on it.
- In the drop down menu, click on the “view account” option.
- Look for the ‘security & privacy’ settings in the list and then click on it.
- Here you will have to find the ‘two step verification’ part and then click on the ‘set up two-step verification’ option.
- You should make sure that you have your alternate email address and your phone number already registered for your account. You can check it in the overview option or the security info option. If not, then add your alternate email address and the phone number in its appropriate boxes.
- After you have entered the details, hit on the save button.
- You will be taken to a new screen. This is where you will be asked to enter the verification code. It will be either sent to your mobile phone or your email address. If you have chosen the phone option, then the code will be received as a text message on your phone.
- Gather this code from your phone’s message box and enter the code on your computer screen.
- Now you have set the two-step verification for your Hotmail account.
Using two step verification
There are two ways by which you can sign in to your account. One is by getting the security code on your mobile phone and the other is to get an app password. So, along with the login credentials, you need to enter a security code as well to access your inbox. When trying to access mail on your PC, you will be prompted to enter the security code that is sent to your mobile phone after you have entered the username and password in the respective boxes. Check out the code on your phone and enter it quickly in the space provided for the same on your computer. Once done, click on enter to get access to your inbox. Once you login using the code on your personal computer, then Hotmail will not ask for entry of a new code every time you login using the same computer. Whenever you sign in to your account using a different PC, you will be sent a secret code on your phone that you need to enter apart from your username and password to check out the emails.
Two step verification using authenticator app
If you decide to choose the authenticator app method to set up the two step verification process for your account, then you will be given a QR code that you need to scan with the app. This app provides you with the option to receive the code, even if you are not online. If the app you are using does not have a scan feature, choose the option ‘I can’t scan the bar code’ and you will be sent a password to enter instead of the scan process.
- Download the Microsoft authenticator app from the app store on your respective device and install it.
- Open the app and then pair the app with your account by scanning the bar code that you see.
- You can check if the pairing was successful by entering the code in the type box and finally clicking on the pair option.